Archive for January, 2008
Jan 27 2008
Well, yesterday the humans in the Yellow House gave the cats a run for their catnip.
MotherDear made a fabulous Roast Chicken dinner, with all the fixings. We had some friends over for supper who brought a 3-layer German Chocolate Cake for dessert. We sat by a magnificent crackling fire, built by Dad. As if more ambiance were needed, we also enjoyed a nice glass of wine with a sax CD softly playing in the background.
It was a day full of Creature Comforts! A perfect way to spend a cold, rainy day.
Jan 26 2008
My Dad was in the Air Force during the Korean War. This is Dad in front of one of many planes he adores. I adore my Dad!
And this is Dad’s 8 Track player. It also plays records and cassettes. Oh yeah, Dad still plays his 8 Tracks.
Jan 25 2008
Well, it’s Finally Friday!
And it’s pizza night. MotherDear is playing Bingo with the Biddies. Dad and I are going over to A&B’s for Pizza! I believe the plans are to also have a nice cozy fire and a glass of wine. I will be quite content.
I’ve been fairly busy with the business this month. Yahoo! Perhaps it is getting off the ground at last. I certainly hope it continues. I am very grateful! Thank you, God! And Thank You to those of you who have me on your prayer list.
Jan 24 2008
13 Things My Cats Nap On
- The throw at the end of my bed. If there’s a blanket, throw, quilt, etc. at the end of the bed, that’s where they will be. There’s sometimes not room enough for me on the bed. It’s not widely known, but cats get bigified while sleeping.
- Spare Bedroom bed, same thing as above except that there’s an entire extra king size quilt at the end of the bed. It’s intended for guests should they need an extra blanket. The cats are most appreciative.
- My desk, while I’m using it. They also block my monitor at every available opportunity.
- The couch. On the remote. And not at the end of the couch. No, no, no. It must be in the middle so nobody will think of disturbing them.
- The piano. The bench if someone takes out sheet music.
- The patio chairs, in the shade. Oh, as long as you’re going inside, would you mind bringing them back a nice cool glass of water?
- Window sills are a favorite spot. They will lay on them for hours watching the world go by. If you happen to forget to open the blinds, they will remind you.
- The coffee table. It’s especially enticing to them if I happen to want to light my candles.
- In the bushes out front. I’m not sure they’re actually sleeping there. It may be that they’re just hiding on their intended prey.
- On top of my freezer in the garage, which also serves as a handy bridge to the garage door tracks.
- Any open drawer. Just turn your back for a second to grab some clean clothes out of the laundry basket. Even if they were outside when you turned to grab the clothes, they’ll be in the drawer once your hands are full of clothes.
- The laundry basket. It lives in my closet and whenever they see the closet door open, they jump into the laundry basket.
- In my lap. This is one of
my excusesthe main reasons some of my chores remain undone. I am the Lap Lady, and I am on duty 24/7 at the pleasure of my cats.
Gandalf & Grayson: We did our own Thursday Thirteen, come see! =^..^=
Jan 22 2008
Yesterday was Martin Luther King, Jr Day. It has been nearly 40 years since he was assassinated.
If he were allowed to come back and speak to us today, what would he say? How has Society done as far as turning his Dream into a reality? How wisely has Society used these 40 years?
I would surely like to hear that speech.
Honestly, I don’t think he’d be pleased. In his Letter from Birmingham Jail, he referred to Time as being neutral. He said that Time could be used destructively or constructively, and that without effort and hard work, Time becomes an ally of “Social Stagnation”.
Society may have left segregation in the past, but prejudice, discrimination, bias and bigotry still rear their ugly heads every day in every corner of the world. The major difference is that it’s no longer burning crosses and the Ku Klux Klan; now it’s Smart Bombs, IED’s and the Taliban. And guess what? It just doesn’t matter to them what the color of our skin is, or what our religion may be. They want to kill all Americans and our allies.
History is replete with examples of predjudice, bias, and bigotry; a people assuming that their race or religion was superior to another. It is Timeless. Yet we still haven’t learned the lesson.
Dr. King also said that Time is always ripe to do right. I hope we still have Time.
Jan 21 2008
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
I’m a lover, not a fighter, so I’ve never been able to get my mind around the whole ‘let me punch someone in the face’ thing, or ‘gee, I think he likes her better than me’ thing. In my opinion Revenge & Jealousy speak more about the person displaying these emotions (fear, low self-esteem, insecurity etc.) and don’t necessarily say anything about the object of the Revenge or Jealousy.
When I was in junior high I received a phone call from a girl I barely knew who “called me out” . She wanted to meet me at a certain location at a specified time to fight for the affections of my boyfriend. I laughed at her, mostly because I thought she was kidding. I told her if she wanted him that bad, she could have him. She got mad! So I told her that the way I saw it, if he didn’t want to be with me, what possible purpose would the fighting serve? She also wasn’t pleased with that.
When I hung up the phone, my mother asked nine million questions and was very upset that I might actually show up for the fight. But that’s a whole other story.
The girl? She was mad at me for weeks. We went on to become good friends and remained friends through high school until we both got married and life happened.
The Boyfriend? I married him. And divorced him.
Rats. I should’ve insisted that she take him.